Yardbirds OR The Mothers - Ross

by April 12, 2017 0 comments
Ross sent a series of emails that captures the choices of a teenager in the 60's...

One of the last Yardbirds concerts with Jimmy Page as guitarist was July 31st 1968 at the Kerrisdale Arena.  2 shows, afternoon and evening. I saw them 8 months earlier at the Gardens PNE...

At 16 years old I had to choose between The Yardbirds for a second time in eight months or the Mothers of Invention that same summer. I saw the Mothers of Invention instead at Kerrisdale Arena. I wished I'd seen The Yardbirds cuz I like them so much more than the Mother's. On the Wikipedia website it said the last Yardbirds concert was in mid-july in England but this poster (below) for the concert on July 31st is proof that information is wrong.

I did see Frank Zappa & the Mothers. That recording you sent me - which is amazing - confirms one thing, it was the worst concert I ever went to.  I saw so many contemporary groups back in that time period, many progressive rock bands of the day. I loved the psychedelic bands of the era breaking ground on new styles and great rock. I had seen the Jefferson Airplane, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Cream, The Doors and many great local psychedelic bands in the months before The Mother’s of Invention.

I never came close to connecting with what Zappa was doing musically but I did appreciate the fact they were so avant-garde, non mainstream music.I know Frank Zappa was a very influential pioneer in many music circles and influenced a lot of groups I loved from the 60’s. I’ve always appreciated that about him and he was a damn fine guitar player.


I can’t say they inspired me at all and the recording is proof to me. Very interesting to hear it all these years later thank you so much for that!

I  have 1/2 the ticket ticket stub from the Mothers of Invention concert August 25th, 1968 at Kerrisdale Arena.

I always regretted seeing Frank Zappa and not the Yardbirds one more time. Awwh life’s choices….lol.




Led Zeppelin was formed shortly after this concert. Poster signed by Bob Masse.

Arena Rock

Artists

Interested in people and history. And fun.